Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Black Walnut Cafe

When you think of brunch, you think of the weekend, right?  That's when my friends and I typically brunch.  In most cases, that's when restaurants will roll out their brunch menu because that's when most people have a bit more leisure time.  Believe it or not, there are restaurants out there that have a daily brunch menu, and I'm not talking about IHOP either.  In DFW, we are lucky enough to have Black Walnut Cafe, which was the perfect place for Mitzi and me to celebrate after taking our principal certification exam.
Be careful!  These mimosas can pack a punch on an empty stomach.  Must be the splash of Grand Marnier.

I decided to go all out and get the Bacon Cheeseburger Benedict.  It seems like the perfect dish for a girl who loves burgers and brunch.  Here's how the menu describes it: two extra-large poached eggs, two mini burger patties, toasted English muffin, American cheese, diced bacon, cayenne citrus hollandaise.  Let me just start off by saying, WOW!  This was delicious!  The flavors were bold and diverse.  Every bite is guaranteed to have multiple flavors.  The eggs were poached to perfection and clicked with the burger patties, which were cooked medium rare.  The melted cheese and bacon added layers of deliciousness to each bite.  Don't worry about the cayenne in the hollandaise sauce.  It's not even noticeable. When you order an eggs benedict dish, you also have a choice of home fries or grits. Normally, I would go for the potatoes, but something was telling me to get the grits.  I am so glad I listened to the voice in my head.  They were smooth, creamy and buttery. Some of the best grits I've ever had!  As I sit here writing, I am fantasizing about these grits!



Mitzi ordered the Chicken & Waffles, another favorite. Belgian waffle, fried chicken tenders, powdered sugar, and New England maple syrup.  A good solid option, but there wasn't anything that really made it stand out.  I will say, I appreciate the chicken tenders as opposed to chicken on the bone.  I'm not opposed to chicken on the bone, but it's not always as easy to consume, especially when served with waffles.



No comments:

Post a Comment